undefined
<p><strong>By Jonk WA Mashamba</strong><br />
jonkm@greateralextoday.co.za</p>

<p>A 15-year-old grade 12 learners, Thelma Nomarogolo, is one of the families whose shacks have been gutted recently. Like some of her neighbors, Thelma didn’t manage to salvage her belongings when fire engulfed her shack. The incident that occurred last week at Organic Market saw community members, private donors and government department landing help to the victims of fire. Thelma says she suspects that someone might have started the fire for no apparent reason. It was in midnight when she was awoken by a ferocious heat and smell.</p>

<p>“The door was not accessible and I had to use the roof miraculously, I managed to open the roof of the shack, and I don’t know how it opened. Immediately when I went out, I saw the whole shack being surrounded by fire. This was not the first time our shack burnt. “Now the pain is gone because of the help from the community members,” said. According to the chairperson organic market Morris Baloyi (45), the area has 395 shacks. During our interview, Baloyi said he was grateful that many people swiftly assisted the victims.</p>

<p>Baloyi has been living there since 1996. This area was officially handed over to the residents by the government in 2005. “We used to pay rent to a land lord here.” Baloyi said many shacks used to burn in this area. “But we thank the department of housing to have realigned shacks and electrified the area; otherwise many shacks could have caught fire. I also would like to thank those who have contributed, because even the ones that are not victims of fire, food was providing to them. This shows there are people who care.” The Alex Plaza donated blankets to twenty fire victims.</p>
Fire Victim Survives Inferno

By Jonk WA Mashamba
jonkm@greateralextoday.co.za

A 15-year-old grade 12 learners, Thelma Nomarogolo, is one of the families whose shacks have been gutted recently. Like some of her neighbors, Thelma didn’t manage to salvage her belongings when fire engulfed her shack. The incident that occurred last week at Organic Market saw community members, private donors and government department landing help to the victims of fire. Thelma says she suspects that someone might have started the fire for no apparent reason. It was in midnight when she was awoken by a ferocious heat and smell.

“The door was not accessible and I had to use the roof miraculously, I managed to open the roof of the shack, and I don’t know how it opened. Immediately when I went out, I saw the whole shack being surrounded by fire. This was not the first time our shack burnt. “Now the pain is gone because of the help from the community members,” said. According to the chairperson organic market Morris Baloyi (45), the area has 395 shacks. During our interview, Baloyi said he was grateful that many people swiftly assisted the victims.

Baloyi has been living there since 1996. This area was officially handed over to the residents by the government in 2005. “We used to pay rent to a land lord here.” Baloyi said many shacks used to burn in this area. “But we thank the department of housing to have realigned shacks and electrified the area; otherwise many shacks could have caught fire. I also would like to thank those who have contributed, because even the ones that are not victims of fire, food was providing to them. This shows there are people who care.” The Alex Plaza donated blankets to twenty fire victims.

COJ
Ad
Facebook
Twitter
© Copyright Greater Alex Today 2016.